Tips for Witnesses
You are a witness because you have seen, heard,
or know something about a crime. If you are the victim of a violent crime or
owner of property stolen, damaged or misused, the case may not be prosecuted
unless you testify. You may not think that what you know about the case is
significant, but it may be highly important. Many small pieces of information
are often required to determine what happened.
To prevent delay and possible dismissal of a case, witnesses must be present
when asked to appear. We must be able to contact you, so it is important that
you keep our office informed of your present address, telephone numbers, and
plans you have for vacation. Please give the Assistant State Attorney or your
Victim Advocate this information as soon as possible.
1. Dress neatly and conservatively for Court.
2. Do not memorize your testimony, but try to review the facts before the
3. Relax, speak loudly and clearly, directing your answers to the jury.
4. Be polite when answering questions. Do not lose your temper.
5. Listen carefully to each question before answering.
6. If you do not understand the question, say so.
7. If you do not have an answer, say so. Do not guess.
8. If your answer needs an explanation, say so, and then explain.
9. If you make a mistake in answering a question, say so and correct it.
10. Give a well thought out answer.
11. Give positive definite answers when possible, avoiding answers such as
"I think,", "I believe," or "I guess so."
12. Do not volunteer information. Give short answers if that is what is
called for: "yes" or "no", if that is what is appropriate.
13. Do not chew gum on the witness stand.
14. Be on your best behavior in and around the courtroom. When court is not
in session, jurors may be in the corridors, elevators, etc.
15. Do not discuss your testimony with other witnesses.
16. Do not make statements to the media prior to or during a trial without
first checking with the Assistant State Attorney.
17. Tell the truth.
Sexual Assault Assistance Program of the Treasure
Please visit us on social media